Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Train from Delhi to Agra:

I left the hotel at 4:45 in the morning to catch my 6 o'clock train to Agra. Karol Bagh was dark and quite when I left. I could see men snoozing in their cycle rickshaws with their feet sticking out as the taxi driver played classic Bollywood on the radio which would occasionally cut to haunting, devotional mantras.

When I arrived at the station I had THREE people tell me that my train was cancelled. The first person led me to security (which I had gone through the day before). There, a man told me that my train had been cancelled and that I needed to take the 7:45 train which would arrive in Agra two hours later. He then led me to the International Tourist Bureau. "But, it's closed!", I said as I had read the hours in my Lonely Planet the day before. He said that someone was there to give me all the details and he took me to the first floor office (which I had been to the day before as well). There a man emerged and said that because the train was cancelled, I needed to catch a government taxi to Nizamuddin station 15 km away in order to make my train and that I needed to leave right then and there. I realized that every time I stopped to look at the board with all of the departure times, they kept me moving with all my luggage. So, I stopped and said, "but it says there that the train is not cancelled." I was told that the board was wrong and was led to a taxi, which looked nothing like the taxi that I had taken to the train station in the first place. Bells started going off and I said, "I need to stop and think about this..." in which the man said, "no time, you need to leave now, you'll miss your train, no trains later." I answered with, "All the same and for my own peace of mind, I would like to make a call and stop and think about this." The man argued with me some more and then walked off in a huff, saying that he was just trying to help. In truth, I felt a bit badly but I went to find some other travelers and asked if they were going to Agra and if the train was cancelled. They told me it was ON TIME... What was that I said about having your wits about you at all times? 6 am and I was on the train (with my name printed on the passenger list on the outside) and off to Agra. 

The train ride to Agra was gorgeous, and for the first time, I really felt like I was in India. As the sun turned from pink to peach, we passed green fields with morning mist and small villages with different coloured buildings in aqua, lavender and blue. Here and there, I could see water buffalo, ponds, pussy willow, thatched round huts and eucalyptus trees. As men in bright shirts worked in the fields, the children made their way to school...






Breakfast was served on the train. To start, we had a 'Meals on Wheels Tea Kit' and Parle-G biscuits, cornflakes with hot milk, followed by toast with jam and butter and curry with poorie. Though still a bit angry about the whole train station debacle, there is nothing like a cup of tea and looking out the window of a train to be cheered right up!


Next stop: Agra!


8 comments:

  1. Oh Michelle... I can just imagine you going through that at Delhi's train station, it is just another world. Congratulations for being strong and wise enough to have made the right decision in the end. Those people are so convincing that it is nearly impossible not to believe them. I loved my journey to Agra, the men squatting in the fields however will forever be imprinted in my mind... your photo of the breakfast on the train took me back. Hope you enjoyed the Taj Mahal, did you get to the other side of the river? Best of luck xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe that I almost fell for it, too! But, when you have three different people tell you...

      The train ride was wonderful! And, I did make it to the other side of the river!

      Delete
  2. India is a wonderful place of adventure. I'm a little jealous that you are there and I am not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear that you're safe, and there really isn't anything like tea on a train to make you feel comfortable and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job, Michelle! I can imagine how many people would just have followed along with all of that. Stand your ground!

    I love reading of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice trip. Thanks for sharing your trip experience. I would also like to share something. Check out pnr status of your ticket with a single click.

    ReplyDelete