Thursday, September 13, 2012


Just a quick catch up on what I had been doing in Delhi:

One day:

It looked a bit stormy as I left Karol Bargh but when I emerged from Rajiv Chowk, it was pouring! And, my plan was to go and visit Hamayun's Tomb. After much consideration, I decided to go ahead with my plans, monsoon or not.


View from out the back plastic window of the auto rickshaw





Hamayun's Tomb was commissioned by one of Hamayun's wives in the 16th century. As she was Persian, the tomb is a mixture of Persian and local architecture (red sandstone and marble). It is surrounded by gardens with water ways, long grass, big trees and some wild flowers here and there. It was breezy, overcast and quiet.  A plaque noted that, " In Farsi, the term for 'walled garden' is 'pairi daeza.' In English, the word became 'paradise'  (heaven)."



Another day:

The Purana Qila is a fortress built by Sher Shah (1500s). Within the fort are gardens, ruins of mosques and a library (where Hamayun slipped down the stairs and later died). The gardens were filled with families pick-nicking and couples snuggling. Until recently, I had never seen so much as a hand hold between a man and woman in India. Men holding hands, of course, I often see. But, this must be one of the places where the young couples are able to go to be alone. On my way out, I stumbled across a temple and paid my respects to Ganesh before heading to Safdarjang's Tomb. 




Safdarjang's Tomb is an 18th century, Mughal tomb with overgrown gardens. It is peaceful and very beautiful. 



I then walked down lush and quiet boulevards, past impressive houses hidden behind barbed wire and men with machine guns, to the Indira Gandhi Smriti. This part of Delhi I love as it is beautiful, spacious and green.

The memorial to Indira Gandhi is a preservation of her home when she was prime minister. What I remember from the last time was the information about her meetings with Mahatma Gandhi, caring for sick tiger cubs and the sari that she wore when she was assassinated in 1984. My favorite quote of hers is: "The world is my university." 

This time, there were more rooms to view, such as her bedroom, living room and dining room. They even had her puja room to see which was filled with objects of devotion from many different religions. On her altar a statue of the Virgin Mary and an image of Jesus Christ had been placed next to a Buddha. Outside, a crystal walkway marks her last steps before she was shot.

From there I walked to Rajpath to take some photos of Rashtrapati Bhavan (the President's House) and India Gate (which I affectionately refer as the Arc de Triomphe of Delhi).



2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful trip and how nice to share activities with your mother. Keep up the great work! Love, Grandma.

    ReplyDelete