Monday, August 27, 2012

Welcome to Singapore!

The taxi ride from the airport was lush and beautiful: boulevards of Rain Trees canopied the roads along with fushia and violet bougainvillea.

I am in Singapore visiting my cousins David, Meg, Jack and Lindy. They moved here a year ago and I couldn't wait to see them! It was wonderful to see David and Meg and it would be my first time meeting the little cousins. Jack is the sweetest boy I have ever met and Lindy is as cute as a button:



Day One:

After breakfast and playing with Jack and Lindy, I went to the Asian Civilizations Museum. It was so impressive! It had a bit of history of Singapore and some gorgeous Asian, Islamic and Chinese galleries. I could have spent days there!

After a walk along the river, I met Meg and David for dinner at a hawker-centre. David was telling me that all the food stalls used to be out on the street but Singapore decided to organize everything by placing them in an enclosed area. You can order a little of everything from different stalls; all you need to do is give them your table number! We dined on Chinese greens with oyster sauce and fried onions, noodles with seafood, fried rice, garlic prawns and washed everything down with beer and/or lime juice. 



Day Two:

After a delicious brunch at Spruce with the family, Meg suggested that I head to the Botanical Gardens. There were families out and about, people picnicking, and it the gardens reminded me of Central Park but with lots of tropical plants. 

It was just beautiful, and as it started to rain, I took cover under a tree:




Finished up the day with exploring Orchard Road (Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Prada...), dinner with the family and a talent show by the kids. Lindy performed some ballet and Jack did some jumping and dancing. What a nice way to spend a Sunday!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sending the rain! Your pictures are so beautiful! I miss you! -Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I know how much you love the rain!

    More rain to come but still experimenting with the video quality.

    I miss you too, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hope they liked your gifts and realized that you are not a wacky cousin, but rather the awesome-ist relative that's ever lived!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had TOO much fun shopping for toys for the kids... Must do it more often.

      Delete