Thursday, October 18, 2012

Mumbai to Pushkar:

Left Mumbai in a frenzy, and after having to pay my taxi driver with dollars as I had run out of rupees, I arrived at the Bandra Train Station with ten minutes to spare. So, off to Rajasthan with 50 rupees ($1 US) in my pocket!

The train from Mumbai to Ajmer was about an 18 hour journey. Again, I had some wonderful travel companions in my compartment: Daniel from Germany and Pete from the UK. Daniel was making some tea in the compartment when I arrived and it was fun to chat with them and trade travel stories all the way north without knowing eachothers' names.

The scenery was beautiful as we passed marshes (which become covered at high tide), rivers (with men fishing with nets) and palm groves. Remnants of the festival could be seen from the marigolds that had washed up along the banks of the river, and as we passed temples, I saw a sadhu meandering along with his walking stick. I felt as if my eyes were wide open again.



The wetlands of Maharashtra

Train tracks out a pink window

At Ahmedabad, Gujarat, we were joined by Rahul who was going to Ajmer for the Sufi festival. Though Hindu, he told me that he has a great interest in Muslim culture and was looking forward to seeing the whirling dervishes, hearing the Sufis sing qawwali and recite poetry, such Rumi.

Traveling in style in 2 AC

Daniel, myself and Rahul

After climbing into our bunks, we were awoken a little before six o'clock to be told that the next station was Ajmer. In the gray light of the early morning, the scenry had changed from the lush and green South to the rocky, dusty desert of Rajasthan. We had arrived!

We disembarked from the train and said goodbye to Rahul. Daniel, Pete and I then all squashed into an auto rickshaw (luggage and all) and made our way to the bus station. 8 rupees (20 cents US) and half an hour later we arrived in Pushkar. The bus ride was beautiful: past Ajmer lake, over the mountain and into 'Holy Holy Pushkar'.

View over Ajmer from bus

Bus ride to Pushkar, Pete taking a video

I had forgotten how much I had loved Pushkar. I had spent almost a month in Pushkar three years ago so it felt like being home again. Not only that but the scenery reminds me a lot of the desert of Arizona, where I live now in the United States, but with India in the foreground. As we passed cows and monkeys along the way, I couldn't stop smiling. 

Daniel had stayed in Pushkar a little while before at the Milkman Guest House. As Pete and I hadn't booked a place a stay, we decided to tag along to see if there were more rooms available. We were all in luck! Rooms, with a shared bath, for 250 rupees a night ($5 US). And, what a charming place: filled with potted plants, a little garden, colourful lanterns and Rajasthani decorations.




That night we all went for dinner and I met up with some old friends. It was wonderful to see them again and it felt as if the three years that had passed were only two weeks. My first night in Pushkar included: dinner with paneer butter masala and butter naan, some traditional Rajasthani music on a roof top terrace, a ride into the countryside by motorbike and drinks with old friends.

The following day, I ran into Daniel and Pete (and Laurin, from the German speaking part in Italy, who we had met the night before) in the Bazaar. After a late lunch in a garden cafe, we trekked up to the Gayatri Temple for some fantastic views over Pushkar.


 Lunch at Little Tibet: Pete, Laurin, Daniel and I



Laurin and Daniel

Sunset from Gayatri Temple



Next Post: Camel Safari into the countryside of Rajasthan.


Breakfast at Milkman. 



3 comments:

  1. you just seem to meet the nicest people everywhere you go - probably because you radiate positive energy!! Can't wait to hear about what happens next....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Liora! I wish you were here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvelous work!. Blog is brilliantly written and provides all necessary information I really like this awesome post. Thanks for sharing this useful post. 
    https://www.bharattaxi.com

    ReplyDelete